Thursday, September 18, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Autumn Reading

A Thursday meme:
Autumn is starting (here in the US, anyway), and kids are heading back to school–does the changing season change your reading habits? Less time? More? Are you just in the mood for different kinds of books than you were over the summer?

I don't have kids so school doesn't really affect my reading habits. However, there is something in the crunch of the leaves, the coming chill in the wind, and the explosion of pumpkin-sightings that really gets me in the mood to sit with a good book and sip hot chocolate in a park. Autumn's my favorite time of year and strangely shedding the summer stuff does change my reading habits. I tend to read more history and classic literature and less epic adventure and light and fluffy items. A little Voltaire on a crisp autumn morning on a park bench decked out in an oversize scarf and hand warmers is probably an ideal scene for me. How about you?

3 comments:

Marie Cloutier said...

Sounds very romantic. I read pretty much the same things all year round but fall is definitely my favorite season, for the leaves and the cooler air and anticipating the holidays. Fun!

SmilingSally said...

Mmmm "sip hot chocolate." My answer is similar to yours.

Unknown said...

Fall did change my reading habits in the sense that it made me start reading. The change of season, Halloween, and the reminder of horror themes that it brings made me pick up the Lovecraft biography. I'm also in the middle of a "scariest places in New England" type book, if that counts!