Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Paging Dr. Horrible

Today is the big day...the start of the great Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog!

You can watch it here (if available):

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

I was lucky enough today to get a chance to watch it at work before everyone else got in and I have to say...it is awesome!

Joss Whedon does it again by creating a story that is compelling, well-written, and populated with interesting characters. I am always impressed with his ability to create a story and setting and then a script that doesn't just help tell the story but fills out the characters so efficiently.

Neil Patrick Harris plays the low-rent villian and main character, Dr. Horrible. He plays it just how I like my low-rent villians who aspire to find their niche in the realm of evil, by being not-quite evil enough. An average super-hero/villian in an average world.

I kinda feel like he's that slightly nerdy and awkward guy next store who is an accountant by day and dreams of being a super-villian at night. At school, he probably sketched out elaborate rube-goldberg machines of destruction in the margins of his lined loose leaf.

The first act is a great hook and introduces the characters perfectly. Nathan Fillion, one of my favorites from Firefly and Serenity (heck they all are my favorites), makes a grand entrance that just fits the character. He hams it up and shines in this so-far hilarious role of do-gooder, Captain Hammer.

Being a nerd myself I love how this story pits the nerd (semi anti-social, brainy, and on the side of villiany) against what looks like the jock/bully of Captain Hammer (the good looking, athletic guy who has a better time with PR). It's an eternal struggle and I look forward to it being played out here.

All in all, it's similar to the premise of the Tick, with its average-joe villian and superhero population struggling with real-life woes...except it's from the viewpoint of the villian and it's a musical...which can only make it great!

Here are a few of my favorite lines pulled from my first watching:

"The status is not quo!"
and
"Lacy, gently wafting curtains"

If you haven't taken the time to see the almost 14 minute flick, you should. You won't be sorry!

No comments: